Basic Post-Op Instructions
1. Keep head elevated on 2-3 pillows. Place 1 pillow under knees to prevent
2. Change cold compresses every 20-30 minutes until bedtime. You may use
frozen bags of peas or corn. Resume in the morning. Do NOT apply HEAT
in any form.
3. Do not be alarmed if you experience a MINIMAL amount of watery, blood-tinged
drainage from your incision site for the first few days. This is normal.
4. If you are concerned about the drainage amount, please contact Dr. Weil.
5. Bruising and swelling will peak at approximately 3-5 days.
6. Do not drive a car or consume alcoholic beverages for a minimum of 3-5
days after surgery and while taking narcotics.
7. DIET: Unless otherwise instructed, you may eat a light meal today and
your regular diet by tomorrow. Drink lots of fluids. Remember a diet high
in sodium will cause fluid retention and contribute to swelling. We recommend
a low-sodium diet.
8. Notify Dr. Weil at
(415) 691-6370 if:
- Pain from your surgical area is not relieved by the pain medication.
- Operative area shows sign of infection, becomes reddened, swollen, has
pus discharge, becomes cold, numb, changes in color, or if the pain increases
over the 72 hours.
- Temperature remains over 101 F.
- Visual disturbances
- Severe headaches
- Loss of movement or sensation to extremities
- Severe increase in back or neck pain
- Stiff neck
- Loss of bowel or bladder control
Again, if any problems occur or if you have any further questions, please
contact Dr. Randall B. Weil at (415) 691-6370 immediately. In the event
of an emergency and you are unable to locate Dr. Weil, go to the emergency
room of your local hospital.
If you any questions about your post-operative care for plastic surgery
in San Francisco, California, please do not hesitate to contact us today.